[Sca-cooks] Historical Apples - substitutions for

Kerri Martinsen kerrimart at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 31 10:46:05 PDT 2008

<snip>
> And we often have enough trouble getting 3 entries (there were NO entries at
> the Mists Coronet 2 weeks ago). If we made it necessary to do extensive
> zoological, botanical, and mineralogical research into every ingredient,
> we'd get a couple entries per year, since we do have one or two people who
> go above and beyond, and they also have land on which to plant things. One
> has a home-built wood-fired domed oven, another has a meat smoker.
>
> What is the acknowledged purpose of cooking competitions in other places?
> Are they open to anyone, or are they aimed at a particular cognoscenti?
> --
> Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)

I think it is similar to the Golden Seamstress/ Garb wars theory.
(Golden Seamstress is better known:  1 team, 1 set of garb skin out,
24 hours.)  There is a team that hand sews the whole outfit every year
(with modern needles).  There are teams that do full elizabethian,
teams that do viking.  Asking someone to make the Apple Tart using a
period apple is akin to asking someone making garb to use hand woven,
naturally dyed materials.  Is it possible.  Yes.  Is it realistic?
Hardly.

I make cheese.  I could access Raw milk to make it.  That is
$6/gallon.  Store milk is $2.50/gallon.  I CHOOSE to use the store
milk as this is my hobby.  The last thing I entered I used 14 gallons
of milk.  That's a lot of milkmoney.  I did do a test run of 2 gallons
of Raw and then discussed bits in my documentation though.

I think it is more important to *understand* the differences between
now & then and be able to speak about it than use identical.  We can't
use identical.  Not unless you have a tardis lying around.

Vitha
(back to lurking)