[Sca-cooks] Wafer Iron

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 1 11:40:46 PDT 2008

Greetings!  While visiting my daughter in San Francisco, I succumbed to a wafer iron that we saw in a culinary antique store.  You can see photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8311418@N08/ .  I've got some questions, though, especially for iron workers such as Phlip.  While the store says that they are old, is there any way to really tell based on the construction?  Also, I remember that the shop said the round part was brass.  Could it be bronze or is brass correct?  And, given how shallow the part that takes the batter, these would make very thin wafers, right?  Because if you added lots of batter, it would squoosh out the sides and into the fire.  Any comments about using this for real??

Alys K.