[Sca-cooks] Wafer Iron

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 1 11:53:21 PDT 2008

Elise Fleming wrote:
> Greetings!  While visiting my daughter in San Francisco, I succumbed to a wafer iron that we saw in a culinary antique store.  You can see photos at
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/8311418@N08/ .  I've got some questions, though, especially for iron workers such as Phlip.  While the store says that they are old, is there any way to really tell based on the construction?  Also, I remember that the shop said the round part was brass.  Could it be bronze or is brass correct?  And, given how shallow the part that takes the batter, these would make very thin wafers, right?  Because if you added lots of batter, it would squoosh out the sides and into the fire.  Any comments about using this for real??
>
> Alys K.

I'm not sure whether brass or bronze.  I happen to prefer cast iron for
the heat distribution and release properties, but the only thing I have
to compare it to is nasty aluminum so Phlip should probably address
that.  But I might suggest you take a lead tester to this little darling.

Aye, go easy on the batter.  You will only seldom get a really full
round wafer without flowing over just a bit.  But that's okay.  If you
wanted machine perfection, you would go out and buy cookies made by
machines.  :-)

On the other hand;  I have a hankering to try this one with marzipan in
the middle.

Sweet times to you,
Selene