[Sca-cooks] scallops

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Oct 3 10:49:19 PDT 2008

On Oct 3, 2008, at 1:07 PM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> I took a quick look for English recipes.
> Most references in EEBO-TCP were to armoury and badges of office or
> to the badges of St. James of Compostella pilgrims.
> Ashmole notes that the French Knights of the Order of St. Michael wore
> them as in "having its Cape embroidered with Gold, and the border of
> the Robe interwoven with Scallops of Gold..."
> Also scallops of lace are mentioned.
> (Several mentions of scallops being listed among the shellfish to be
> found in North America.)

At the risk of overstating the obvious, it might be worth noting that
in most of the US, what we actually are getting is the sliced or whole
adductor muscle that has been carefully removed from the shellfish we
know as the scallop. The entire beastie is edible, except for the
shell, and the period recipes are presumably speaking of the whole
animal, as are many recipes from outside the US...

Adamantius (who likes 'em seared with just a little Kosher salt in an
almost-red-hot iron skillet)

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter