[Sca-cooks] scallops

Deborah Hammons mistressaldyth at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 09:10:28 PDT 2008

In the early 70"s Rhys and I were stationed on the island of Menorca.  Rhys
went snorkeling and brought back a sting ray that had a 6 foot wingspan.
Since we were swimming out of one of our local swim up tapa bars there, the
proprietor asked if he could "have" it.  He brought out a huge cutting
board, and after taking the wings off and skinning them. he used different
sized metal round "cookie cutters" to prepare the white meat of the wings.
Then he put them on the grill and served them to the bar patrons.  As
scallops.  When I asked him about it, he just shurgged and said, tourists,
what do they know?  It has made me pretty skeptical of the frozen ones.  But
now adays I think there is a little more positive control on what gets put
into those bags in the freezer.  One can hope.

Aldyth