[Sca-cooks] Lamb's Tongue

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Fri Oct 10 14:02:24 PDT 2008

I have never done lamb's tongue.  However, I have an old family
recipe that I have found in an historical Jewish cookbook of
mine.  It is for sweet and sour tongue.  It is traditional for the
new year, Sukkot and Purim.  I am trying to look into documentation now.

Sweet & Sour Tongue.

Boil the tongue in a pot of water to cover with some peppercorns,
whole cloves, bay leaves and juniper berries.  Cook the tongue until
it is easy to peel off the outer skin.  After the skin is peeled off,
cut into slices about 1/4" thick.

In another pot, place 1 cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup water.  Add
the juice of 1 lemon and about 2 tbs of brown sugar.  Then add 1 tsp
of ground cinnamon, 1 tbs crushed garlic and 13  crushed ginger
snaps.  Cook the tongue in the sauce for about 30-45min or until the
tongue is tender.

I like to serve this over medium to broad egg noodles.

HL Sindara