[Sca-cooks] Historical Apples

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Oct 26 15:37:08 PDT 2008

I have an old Miscellany article that discussed period fruit trees. The
best source used to be Southmeadow Nurseries, but I'm told they have
gone steeply downhill, if they still exist at all. Miller's has some
period apples.

Currently, we have two period apple trees in front of the house, both
of which bore this year--a lady apple and a Calville Blanc d'Hiver.

Applesource used to, and I think still does, sell a wide variety of
apples (fruit not trees)  by mailorder, including some period
varieties. It's particularly useful if you are thinking of planting a
tree and want to know what the apples will taste like.