[Sca-cooks] Historical Apples

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Sun Oct 26 20:35:15 PDT 2008

Lilinah wrote:
> Well, "Pippins" was kind of a trick answer. There are many varieties
> of Pippins out there in apple land, but not so much in US supermarkets.
>
> I have never seen an apple for sale called a Cox's Orange Pippin,
> although i have read about them.
>
> The standard Pippins we get in the US (at least here in California)
> are green, hard, and tart, but can be eaten out of hand by those who
> like tart apples, but are also good (or perhaps better) for baking.

That sounds like a Granny Smith.

> Mostly there are ranks and ranks of mealy characterless Red and Golden
> Delicious. I gather from my reading that they don't have to be so
> insipid, but most of those available commercially are, at least these
> days. I have memories of tangier Red Delicious, but perhaps those are
> false memories...

I like a really fresh Red Delicious, but they're poor keepers and do go
to floury tastelessness pretty quickly.  They also don't really grow
them here, so I only get the odd one imported from the US.  We mostly
get Braeburns, Cox's Orange, Fujis, Eves, Pacific Roses, and the
inescapable Granny Smiths.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,