[Sca-cooks] Historical Apples - substitutions for

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 29 18:28:36 PDT 2008

Femke, thanks for your detailed answers to my comments and questions.
You also said:

<<< If you're interested in making some, you might try some of the
commercial varieties first.  I have a few favorites:

http://www.dryblackthorncider.com/b/index_B.html
http://www.cidery.com/
And, if you can find it, my personal favorite, K draft Cider:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_cider >>>

I'll have to look for these. I may have found Blackthorne in the
Pennsic area. Mostly I've seen other brands. Most of which, like the
commercial meads, I've been less than impressed with. On the meads,
I've found I have to check carefully that I'm even getting a beverage
based on honey, instead of grape wine with honey added. :-(  Many of
the SCA meads I've had have been superior to the commercial
varieties. I don't remember having that many homemade ciders.

<<<
 > And I suspect most of the apples sold in my stores are likely
 > chosen because they are better eaten fresh, or perhaps in pies,
 > although that usage may be falling as well. I've had abysmal luck
 > making cider when I tried using fresh apples or even apple juice, but
 > what were the good cider apple varieties in period or even today?

See above, Greenmantle Nursery's site.  Off the cuff I'd guess your
attempts had way too much sugar and too little malic acid to be
palatable. >>>

I wish I'd had enough luck with ciders that the fruit variety was my
problem. The first time, not having a fruit press I tried to juice
the apples in my blender. Didn't chop the apples very well and didn't
yield much juice. I tried adding water to help the blender chop
things up but it got too diluted and the only thing I got was soupy,
lumpy liquid which started growing white fuzzy stuff. I've heard
recently that using apple juice which has had vitamin C added as a
preservative won't work. That may have been my next problem. Again
more fuzzy stuff growing in the liquid.  Next time I did get a good
fermentation, but it tasted like it was turning into vinegar. I put
it back in the refrigerator and forgot about it. Several weeks later
I decided to take the bottles out to the compost pit to dispose of
the experiment.  When I popped the top of the Grosch bottle to pour
it out, I realized why you should make sure the bottle is pointed
away. The top went off like a bullet followed by a strong spray of
foam.  The last cider I made, and the best, I had made a mulled cider
for an SCA revel. The turnout was much lower than expected, and I
poured the mulled cider back in the gallon jug. Since I didn't have
room in the refrigerator I left it out. A few days later I noticed a
few bubbles rising to the top in the jug. Not great cider but
passible for an accident and better than my intentional attempts.  On
the otherhand, all of my meads have worked out. :-)

<<< Pennsic is probaby the worst time of the year for doing this.
The period apples wouldn't have ripened yet.  And you're not likely
to find any that have been stored that long.  Many of them don't
store well to start with.  Plus, many apple varieties change their
flavor and texture distinctly when stored.  Sometimes this is bad,
sometimes it's an improvement.  >>>

Oh. I didn't think of that. And I'm not sure if I will be at the next
Pennsic or not.

<<< Gulf War might be timed a BIT better.  >>>

That would be good for me. We've made all Gulf Wars except the second
one and we are planning on going in a few months. Hopefully if I get
a job I can negotiate that week off. Gulf Wars does tend to be more
martially oriented than A&S though.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas