[Sca-cooks] New Book on Maya Cooking- Gene Anderson, bastardizing in Southern Mexico

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 15:14:49 PDT 2008

Nick wrote:
> Dear Authentic Cooks:  I have just brought out a book, MAYALAND
> CUISINE, about the traditional cooking of the Maya areas of
> Mexico--the Yucatan Peninsula plus the states of Chiapas and Tabasco.
> The recipes are all things I collected myself from people there or
> translated from obscure local cookbooks (mostly pamphlets of very
> limited circulation). The recipes are all traditional--which sometimes
> means they go back 2000 years and sometimes only 100, so use with
> caution if you want to be authentically pre-1700!  > > > > > > >
>

> This looks like a cool book.  It does seem to be a 'traditional' cookery
> book rather than a book to rely on for discerning actual Mayan food
> traditions during the time of the Mayan Empire rise and fall.  It should be
> able to familiarize us with what their cookery became, and build some
> beginning foundation for inferences . . . but NOT be a direct reference for
> period Mayan cookery.  Cool book for what it proclaims to be . . . wolf in
> sheeps clothing when people start draggin it out as documentation.  Several
> books have already been b at stardized that way in the last 10 years.
>
> I hope this one is appreciated for waht ti is and not made to fit into the
> 'primary resource' (or even secondary) category.
>
> Call me a cynic,
> niccolo difrancesco

You are not a cynic. My son-in-law is an artist and historian, as I, and
half Mexican living in Chiapas. He could write a book about what you are
talking about but it goes back hundreds of years since Dame ? robbed who
knows what from Mayan ruins. I would like to send sonny boy a copy of
the cook book for him to present a formal opinion but I don't see where
I can procure the book. On the other hand he might have a heart attack
at his tender age (40 maybe?) upon reading it and that does no suit me.
Suey