[Sca-cooks] New Book on Maya Cooking- Gene Anderson, bastardizing in Southern Mexico

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Oct 31 15:25:24 PDT 2008

Suey, what are you on about now? Gene's book makes no pretense to be
anything but what it is, a collection of recipes that he, personally
collected from Mayan descendents living in the areas he described. If
you son can write such a book, then why doesn't he? Meantime, until we
get translations of Mayan and Aztec hieoroglyphs, this is what we
have, and with a firm knowledge of the techniques and ingredients that
influenced the traditional methods of cookery, we may get an insight
into how they actually cooked.

I do, however, agree with Niccolo that there's a danger that the less
scholarly may decide to take this as real, pre-1700 Mayan cookery, but
that's true of any book that delves into the modern descendents of an
exotic cuisine.