[Sca-cooks] A&S judging

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 26 20:38:31 PDT 2008

From: "Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps" <dephelps at embarqmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Historical Apples
To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>

Daniel commented:
<<< Was written:
> Oh you got to be kinding! Why were the judges expecting it to be
> "authentic"
> apples? Were they expecting the person to have researched the apple
> variety?
> Well why stop at apples, why not make it with period wheat.(sarcasm)
> How "expert" was the entrant?
I've an article I wrote on A/S judging that speaks to the issue as along
with other things it discusses the concept of reasonable
substitution.  I'm
not sure if it is posted in the Flori..  It raised a bit of a dust up
here
in this kingdom when it was published.  >>>

Perhaps you are speaking of this file in the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS
section of the Florilegium?
Judging-AS-art    (14K)  3/25/05    "Judging Arts and Sciences
Competition; Some
                                        Thoughts and Suggestions" by
Ld. Daniel
                                        Raoul Le Vascon du Navarre'

What kind of dust did it stir up? No one has sent me an opposing
article to post.  And I would consider such an article. If anyone of
you disagrees with an article or message in the Florilegium, you do
have the chance to get your research/opinions posted, although it
will have to meet similar standards.

Daniel also wrote this article in the same section:
Documentation-art (12K)  8/22/04    "Documentation - a Quick and
Painless Guide"
                                        by Ld. Daniel Raoul le Vascon.

<<< If anyone wants it I will post it to
them.  Have you seen my semi-Swiftian piece in the Flori regards my
recreation of a 12th century hole? >>>

In the PERSONAL CARE section:
12thC-Hole-art    (19K)  8/22/04    Reconstruction of the hole in a
period
                                        toilet seat by Ld. Daniel
Raoul le Vascon

<<< Side note, I will be out of touch next week. I'm off to do some
field work.
I'm sampling the beaches of the east coast of Florida,  one sample
set every
mile.  >>>

Are you doing this alone? That's a lot of miles.

<<< Next week is the rest of southern Brevard County as well as Indian
River and possibly St. Lucie counties.  Doing some of this on four
wheelers
varoom varoom. >>>

Oh okay. Then I guess you aren't trying the entire coast in one
week.  Are you talking about four wheel ATVs? or SUVs?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com