[Sca-cooks] brisket

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 1 07:13:59 PDT 2008

On Oct 1, 2008, at 9:54 AM, Heleen Greenwald wrote:

> Could someone please tell me what cut of meat brisket is in
> english?  First off, I thought the word brisket WAS English, but I
> was told no. Then I told this person that brisket was the the best
> or first cut of roast....... what do I know? Could someone please
> enlighten me.

At the risk of sounding a little gruesome, I find the best teaching
tool for locating meat cuts on domestic meat quadrupeds is to imagine
yourself on your hands and knees, with a line drawn down along your
spine, another from between your collarbones, along your sternum, and
down to your crotch, and two more drawn from your armpit, along your
ribs, down to your hip. Essentially, your body will be divided into
quadrants. If it makes you feel better, imagine doing it with pink
lipstick, children's face paint, or chocolate sauce ;-)

Brisket would be located, if you were a cow or I a cannibal, which
we're not, but work with me here, along the front of your rib cage,
approximately from your armpit to your middle ribs, and from the
center line of your sternum to the middle of your ribs.

Does that help?

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter