[Sca-cooks] Period Halloween/Samhain dishes

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 2 11:08:47 PDT 2008

Soul Cake or Parkin = spice cake, suitable for all occasions from
Hallowe'en to Twelfth Night, the dark of the year.  Also traditional at
funerals;  a book on Yorkshire traditions says that one euphemism for
someone who is mortally ill says "looks like a case of Slow Walking,
Spice Cake and Ale."  [Thesaurus of Traditional English Metaphors,
p.323, "funerals".]

Do you want a period recipe or a good modern one?

Selene