[Sca-cooks] Couple of quick questions for the list....

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 11:05:54 PDT 2008

No, I'm the one that has it backwards...just consulted the book and it's one
sugar, 2 butter, four flour.  Sigh.  It's been a bad day...alarm didn't go
off, had an appointment for the dog to get "cleaned and pressed" at 7:30,
which is when I woke up, got dressed in a real hurry, realized that I didn't
have the van so had to take doggie (Samoyed mix about 55 lb) in T-bird, got
doggie to groomer...then discovered that there was a TERRIFIC traffic jam
probably due to an accident so took the back way home, only part of that was
blocked off because of this accident so had to take REALLY long way home.
Sigh.  But this time the proportions are correct...I looked it up!

Kiri (the somewhat befuddled)

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Uh oh.  I may have remembered the proportions in reverse.  <shamefaced>
>  This is not a Good Brain Day.
>
> I have the same book!  My mom brought it back from the UK during her days
> with Laker Airways publicity.  It's a good one.
> Selene
>
> Elaine Koogler wrote:
>
>> Actually, I have a similar recipe only I use 1 part butter to 2 parts
>> sugar
>> to 4 parts flour!  They turn out really well...and you can make them even
>> more special by adding minced candied ginger to the mix...I don't really
>> have a quantity, but whatever looks right!  The basic recipe comes from a
>> Scottish cookery book from a Rural Home Women's group that I purchased in
>> Scotland many years ago.  The recipe is actually called "Petticoat Tails",
>> but it is shortbread!  When you bake them, be sure that pierce them
>> several
>> times with a fork so that they cook more evenly.
>>
>> Kiri
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>

>>> On the other hand, I do have the best formula for Scotch Shortbread:
>>>
>>> 1 cup butter [real, salted]
>>> 2 cups sugar [any kind: brown, white, powdered]
>>> 1 cup rice flour