[Sca-cooks] scallops

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Oct 4 01:16:48 PDT 2008

Adamantius said:

<<< At the risk of overstating the obvious, it might be worth noting
that
in most of the US, what we actually are getting is the sliced or whole
adductor muscle that has been carefully removed from the shellfish we
know as the scallop. The entire beastie is edible, except for the
shell, and the period recipes are presumably speaking of the whole
animal, as are many recipes from outside the US... >>>

Oh! Duh. It might be obvious to some, but it didn't occur to me until
seeing Johnnae's message you were replying to and your message that
there was a connection between the round one inch or 1/2 inch chunks
of white flesh i was seeing at Sam's and other groceries and the
stereotypical shell pattern used by the Shell Oil company and even
the "scalloped" edging around period style pavilions.

I almost asked what animal these round chunks came from. :-(  It also
makes clear how easily obtained these probably were in period, at
least if you lived near the seacoast.  I imagine one reason they are
so expensive now is that easy collection has caused them to be over
harvested and harder to find now.  I wonder if they can be farmed.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com