[Sca-cooks] scallops

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 4 12:19:05 PDT 2008

On Oct 4, 2008, at 2:54 PM, Nick Sasso wrote:

> [...]

Let's not forget the healthy dose of cane sugar to make it taste more
like seafood...

The Chinese fish cakes are exactly what they claim to be: ground-up
raw fish, usually with a slightly rubbery binder like potato starch,
cooked (fried or steamed) in the form of cakes, or one-inch balls.
Sometimes the identity of the fish changes, and you get essentially
the same product made of various fin fish, shrimp (very slightly
different in color in flavor, but not worth the extra money IMO),
squid or cuttlefish, etc. They're stable in fridge or freezer, almost
impossible to ruin by over or undercooking, taste like fish, nothing
more and nothing less, are relatively nutritious, and can be cooked
and served in a variety of ways.

But that fake crabmeat (with or without artificial flake/fiber
structure molded in), with sweeteners, artificial flavors and colors,
and the aforementioned quasi-scallops (which seem to be made from a
paper-thin sheet of surimi rolled into a cylinder, then pressed,
sliced, and coated with crumbs for frying) are the lowest of the low
in the faux seafood-maker's art.

Adamantius (yes, making that cassoulet)

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter