[Sca-cooks] Skate/ray scallops

Margaret Rendell m_rendell at optusnet.com.au
Mon Oct 6 03:47:42 PDT 2008

Antonia Calvo wrote:
> Arianwen ferch Arthur wrote:
>> shark and ray/skate were sold as flake & hake (don't
>> remember which was which) when I was teaching in
>> Australia, my students went "yuck" or equivalent at
>> the idea of shark or ray but loved to cook and eat the
>> flake/hake.  Good thing they didn't read their text
>> books which told them what they were eating :-)
>>
> Which is pretty interesting when you consider that the default fish
> and chips fish in Aussie *is* flake.

in fact, growing up in small Australian (country, inland) towns in the
60s and 70s, flake was pretty much the _only_ fish you got at a fish &
chip shop.
I can't remember not being aware that it was shark. I always took it as
one of those things - you eat "flake", which comes from a shark, the
same way you eat "beef", which comes from a cow, and "pork", which comes
from a pig...

Margaret/Emma