[Sca-cooks] Interesting locally-produced foods...(oop)

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Mon Oct 13 05:05:15 PDT 2008

We actually have two farmers' markets for just that reason.  One (the
original) does not allow meats and meat products, and the other (newer)
does.  Most folks just go to both...they're only, oh, about 6 blocks apart,
and there's a "people's market" (artisans' non-food stuff) in between them,
so it's a great way to spend a couple of hours on a Saturday morning.  The
producers all look to be local growers/ranchers (mostly really small, family
operations), although I'm pretty sure the sausage guy makes his own sausage
but doesn't grow the pork/beef/chicken.
I'm not actually sure of all the regulations that govern selling at either
of them, except for price uniformity--everyone apparently has to sell, for
instance, their cucumbers, at a set price.  Baked goods are usually bagged,
I think, unless it's coming from one of the "buy a pastry to go with your
coffee" carts....
--Maire
p.s. Thanks for the sausage reference!