[Sca-cooks] OOP canning adventures

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 15 00:22:34 PDT 2008

Alex asked about canning jars cracking or imploding:

<<< Really? We re-used jars for years, and pressured canned all the time
without any such breakage.  Wouldn't the flaws show up the first time
they go under pressure? >>>

Not necessarily.  If the problem is a weakness induced during
manufacture or initial shipping, then yes, most likely. However it is
possible for something like a jar to survive the first canning and
not crack till later. I think though that the problems that might
appear later are more likely to be due to stress caused by uneven
heating or a scratch or something happening during its use.

I'd say go ahead and use any jars that don't show a definite injury.
In a pressure cooker/canner any fragments are likely to be contained
and since the jars are going to implode, not explode they are
unlikely to cause a chain reaction of exploding jars, unlike what can
sometimes happen in brewing. I think the biggest problem would be the
waste of the contents that were in that jar and some cleanup to do.
Once a jar has cracked or imploded, I wouldn't take the risk that you
got all glass slivers out.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas