[Sca-cooks] Historical Apples

Terri Morgan online2much at cox.net
Sun Oct 26 20:30:18 PDT 2008

> Mostly there are ranks and ranks of mealy
> characterless Red and Golden Delicious. I
> gather from my reading that they don't have
> to be so insipid, but most of those available
> commercially are, at least these days. I have
> memories of tangier Red Delicious, but perhaps
> those are false memories...
> Urtatim

Not false memories unless we have a hive-mind. Growing up in Oregon I helped
harvest Red Delicious apples and was told, most sincerely, that "the little
crown on the bottom of the apple is there because these are the Royalty of
Apples".

Sadly, something has changed and I haven't found good tasting ones in the
market for years. I put that down to living in the East but perhaps, like
bananas, the 'good' strain was wiped out some catastrophic way.

How I yearn for a nice, crisp tasty one from my childhood!

Hrothny, Ex-pat Oregonian