[Sca-cooks] Historical Apples

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Oct 27 03:27:38 PDT 2008

I posted a few days ago but haven't seen it appear.

I don't know what would be period for 13th c. Al Andalus, but there are
a number of varieties believed to be pre-1600 still available, such as
Summer Rambo--which used to be available near Pennsic at Pennsic time,
but no longer is--Lady apples, Calville Blanc d'Hiver, Sops of Wine. I
have an old article in the Miscellany on the subject: "Concerning Trees
and Their Fruits" in "Articles Written in Persona" webbed at:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Miscellany.htm

We currently have a Lady Apple and a Calville Blanc in front of the
house, both of which bore this year. I don't kn owwhat has happened to
the period trees I planted and later abandoned in Philadelphia and New
Orleans. A really ambitious head cook might be able to find a local
orchard that grew one of the period varieties, with luck.

As to pippins, Cox's Orange Pippin, while famous, isn't, I believe,
period. I wouldn't assume crab apples are particularly likely to be
period either.

Southmeadow Nursery used to be the best source for period trees, but I
am told it went badly down hill and I'm not sure if it still exists.
Miller's nursery has some.

Cariadoc