[Sca-cooks] Period Ingredients, was Historical Apples

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 29 09:49:57 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
<<< Should we all be marked down for not mentioned in that we using
modern, and not period, salt, wheat, beef or chicken or pork, etc.? >>>

I think this is valid inquiry, and I have a sort of philosophical answer
about this and the aples and the salt.  My answer is: "It depends what
message you want to send and what direction you want to give the particular
entrant".

I believe that it is very valid to expect more and more attention to details
and awareness of products we use versus waht was available.  Certianly a
more advanced artisan needs to be a little more intellectually responsible
with each approximation and each project that adds to the growth cycle of
themselves as researchers and writers.  I see it as a continuum.  We have
vast amounts of information, as has been said before, that is available on
internet, inter library loan and books in English.

Encouraging people to slough off lazy research habits, or to expand their
attention to such detials is good . . . smacking someone around to diminish
morale and enthusiasm is bad.  Research projects should expand the existing
common knowledge base, not simply renumerate it.  I see renumeration of
existing information as a report, and a different task and process
altogether.

pacem et pumpkin,
niccolo difrancesco