[Sca-cooks] larding

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 26 00:22:37 PDT 2008

Mora asked:

<<< Is the stuffing of meat with fats and spices - larder -  a
period  cooking
method?

This is the only way I know to fix venison.

Make large slits in to meat across the grain and stuff with bacon fat or
sausage. >>>

Yes, it is. Of course I didn't know anything about it, in the
medieval or modern world, until it was discussed on this list.

See this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium for some info on
it.
larding-msg       (12K)  9/ 1/07    Inserting fat into meat in period
and today.

Other treatments of meat in the FOOD-MEATS section:
meat-aging-msg    (20K)  1/10/08    The aging of meat to tenderize it
in period
                                        and today.
p-marinating-msg   (4K) 10/31/01    Period marinating of meats.
corned-beef-msg   (12K)  9/ 3/06    Corned and salted beef.

And in this time of rising meat prices:
cheap-meats-msg   (18K)  9/ 4/97    Cheap meats for feasts. Cooking
with them.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas