[Sca-cooks] Kumiss stuff for Lilinah - warning, even longer rambling response

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Oct 27 05:55:43 PDT 2008

Interesting.

I recently tried an (inadvertant) experiment with milk fermentation.
Lately, I've been getting preserves, placing them in the bottom of a
sealed container, and covering them with whole milk yogurt. This
(usually) makes a nice, fruit flavored yogurt, wherein the ingredients
are put together by my choice, rather than whatever the commercial
manufacturers think might sell well.

I had one container that didn't get eaten for some reason- found it at
the back of my fridge a couple months later. I opened it, it looked
OK, and tasted it.

It had a strong fermented taste, very acidic, and was rather
carbonated. And, it didn't make me sick, or have any of the symptoms
of food poisoning. It also felt to me that it was mildly alcoholic.

Having read through your ramblings, Drakey, I'm wondering if the
making of kumiss might be a relatively simple 2 step process, in the
field, so to speak. Starting with the mares milk, one would make a
yogurt which would be fairly constantly agitated as might happen when
hauling a bag of milk around on horseback. Then, the addition of an
appropriate fruit, to provide the yeasts which would lead to the sugar
fermentation, thus providing one with Kumiss. Would seem to me, that
that would be the basis of your more scientific messing about with
specific yeasts.

Thoughts?

Gunther, I'm deliberately leaving Drakey's post attached to mine, so
people wanting to look over the steps can reference things easily
without having to flip back and forth through emails.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard