[Sca-cooks] ISO carbonado references.

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Sep 2 18:35:46 PDT 2008

Rumpolt's _Ein New Kochbuch_ has many references to "Karwenada" which means Carbonado.  In one recipe (Kalb 32) it is spelled both "Karwenada" and "Karbenada".

Karwenada of mutton, grouse, sturgeon, pheasant, pork, veal, piglet, eagle, salmon, and probably others I've not yet transcribed.  Also a Karwenada subtlety of sugar.
http://www.geocities.com/ranvaig/medieval/EinNewKochbuch.pdf  (this is out of date, I need to update it).

Also Gwen Cat posted this when I asked about Karwenada
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org/2007-March/008281.html
> Karwenada is a variant of Carbonado, also Karbanart,
> Karbenart and Karwanart.

Giano has a reference to Karbenart from Franz de Rontzier
http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_Gianos_12thnight.htm

And the word Karwanart has a lot of Kurdish hits.  Not sure if its related or not, but Rumpolt has other recipes influenced by the middle east.

Ranvaig