[Sca-cooks] Redaction (Was: Some recipes that I have redacted)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 15 16:56:13 PDT 2008

> As a general question, do most cooks on this list actually do formal
> redaction when working from period resources?  Or do some people just keep
> the period source and wing it?
>
> --
> Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

It depends on whether I'm experimenting or putting together a formal
presentation of my recipe adaption.

I want a copy of the original recipe, transcription or facsimile.  That will
be the final arbiter for any disputed points.  Next I want a translation, if
necessary.  From this, I may produce an ingredient list and experiment on
quantities or just play around from the translation.  If I'm playing, I may
leave the recipe in this state.  If I am preparing it for publication, my
adaptation of the recipe will be put in a modern format with a transcription
of the original and any translation.

Bear