[Sca-cooks] Cleaning metal

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Sep 17 09:43:53 PDT 2008

Well, I tend to avoid methods using nasty chemicals, and lye, the
active ingredient in most oven cleaners, is something I avoid. If I
wanted to use heavy chemicals, I'd use Naval jelly or phosphoric acid,
either of which will do the job quite well. However, salt water and
molasses don't cause a chemical hazard, and either can be disposed of
by pouring down your sink without screwing up your septic system or
polluting your waste water. And, neither ofd my methods requires much
in the way of safety precautions, supposing you're reasonably careful
with electricity.