[Sca-cooks] Chawettys

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 18 18:20:40 PDT 2008

Greetings!  The problem appears to have been with reading the terrible font
(Black Letter) that Richard Fitch chose for the text.  I have the book and
the recipe (p.65) says "olyks of Eyroun" which was misread as "Cyroun".  If
you aren't used to that font, it could easily have been mistaken for a "C"
instead of a capital "E".  And, the text uses the long "s" which looks like
an "f" to most of our eyes (Roysonys instead of Royfonys).  So, there was
no transcription error.  Actually, there are few transcription errors -
being somewhat obsessive, I checked Richard's transcriptions with the other
sources that he used.  I found two error for sure.  One is on p. 39
(Vyaunde de cyprys in lente) where Richard put an "e" when it should have
been the symbol that looks like a long z.  The second is on p. 119 (Troute
boyled) where he transcribed "bigynnet" instead of "bigynneth".

Alys K.

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/