[Sca-cooks] Vikings in Minnesota

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 01:45:23 PDT 2008

In my Swedish sources (I live in Sweden and the history here is told that
way), the Rus were Scandinavian merchants, (the name Rootsi is still today
the Finnish name for Sweden), the Svea were settlers in Svealand, Gotland
and West Gotland, they were related to the Visigoths which plundered Rome
and settled down in today's Spain, then a Rome province. The source for the
period is the Nestor chronicle, written by the Russian munk Nestor in 1113.
The Vikings were definitely Norses and Danes, the Svea were merchants and
they went behind their neighboors Vikings and grounded merchant cities, as
Kiev, Moskva and Novgorod. At that time the administrative center of the
land was in Birka, near Uppsala and Visby was the merchant capital, a part
of the Hansa league.
In Sweden  the Viking time spans between 800 and 1050. (In 1066 the
Normands, Vikings settled down in France, invade England and colonize the
country.) Nobody in Scandinavia speaks about "Vikings" after the 11th
century.
Ana

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 5:23 AM, otsisto <otsisto at socket.net> wrote:

> 1. The "Vikings" did not become extinct in the 11th cent.
> 2. The label "Viking" is more a profession title then a people.
> 3. It was the Rus that settled in Kiev and Moscow and probably Novgorod.
> You
> have the Svea, Norwegians (or Norse)Danes..etc.
> 4. Ever since the 1800s anything of Ancient Nordic became labeled "Viking",
> perhaps for sensationalism and it has stuck ever since.

http://www.ekopolitan.com Grön sajt/Green

http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se
Gondolgatan 2 l tr
12832 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci