[Sca-cooks] Tomatoes Again

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 08:59:32 PDT 2008

Ciao!

As is my wont, I was re-reading one of my books again and noticed
something I had not before. I know that many of us have the Best
translation of Markham's The English Housewife, so this isn't anything
groundbreaking would be my guess. But I cannot access the Tomato
article that Johanne wrote (I get 404ed) so I thought I would bring
this up here (and if I remember correctly those references were
specifically Spanish and Italian).

In the gardening section, when Markham is telling his Housewife when
to plant what there are two references to Apples of Love. Checking the
footnotes the editor does indeed claim these to be Tomatoes. Also in
the footnotes is the information that the gardening section is pretty
much lifted in whole from Maison Rustique and therefore more suited to
the French climate than the English. Also, that Maison Rustique was
first translated into English in 1600, putting the original French
version within period.

Is this a reference that has already been thoroughly covered? I did
not find a reference to this in the Florithingie. Maison Rustique is
apparently available via EEBO but I do not currently have access to
it.

Thoughts, as always, are sought.

--
Serena da Riva