[Sca-cooks] A FORME OF CURY manuscript to go online

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Sep 24 11:30:22 PDT 2008

Cool.
BTW, This is the FoC that is NOT the one used in Curye on Inglysch.
That book uses the British Library Add. MS 5016 and the Morgan Library's
Buhler 36 as the primary texts.
Constance Hieatt examined this one after the publication of
Curye on Inglysch and then did a little known but very important article
on this version that was published in 1988.
(It's in the Bulletin of the John Rylands University Library of
Manchester 70 (1) 1988.
Not many libraries carry that title.  It was not in JSTOR last time I
looked either.)

This version (cited as MS M in Hieatt's article) is however as she notes
perhaps the best and earliest
copy of what is labeled as the beta-version of the FoC.
The article goes through the differences and notes things like this one
is lacking two leaves and recipes 194, 195, 196, and about half of 197.

It will be fun to see it online I guess sometime in 2009.

Johnnae