[Sca-cooks] OOP but WANT!!!!!

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Thu Sep 4 11:50:16 PDT 2008

Saint Phlip did speak thusly:
>Well, pottery occasionally has its issues, too:
>
>http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/pennsic2008cooking.html
>
>But, these often help (first set of photos, of one of my students):
>
>http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/pennsic2008forge.html
>
>I do hope you were cooking over coals, and not the fire, Iasmine.
>Coals and their temperatures are an awful lot easier to manage.

Trivets are a wonderful thing.

Do you know what sort of clay was used in making the pottery skillet?

I've been researching the use of pottery over open flame and all the
recommendations I have seen for the type of clay come down to a
relatively low iron content, open-bodied earthenware clay as being
the best for such uses. This sort of clay has much better thermal
expansion properties than stoneware clays but it also tends to be
more fragile. On the other hand, this is exactly the sort of clay
that would have been used in period by many potters for such ware as
it is something that is often readily available in many places.

The only other kind of clay I have seen recommended for direct flame
exposure is a very pure lithium oxide based clay that is fired at
very high temperatures to the point of full vitrification (this is
the sort of clay that is used in laboratory crucibles), however, this
sort of lithium clay has to be fired at such a high temperature that
it would not have been used in period pottery.

Also, I want to point out that if the lamb had been roasted to the
side of the fire and not directly over the coals you could have
avoided your flare ups. Bank the coals to the side and place a drip
pan with some water in it under the roast. The indirect heat will
roast it just fine, you won't get the flares and you will have the
yummy drippings to dip bread into or use in a sauce or savory pudding.

Dragon