[Sca-cooks] OOP but WANT!!!!!

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 14:34:25 PDT 2008

There are a lot of shiny clear glazes used on pottery that have no lead in them whatsoever.  Yes, one has to be careful of pottery that is found in thrift stores, etc. because one doesn't know when the piece was made and what chemicals were used in the glaze.  But in the US, lead is NOT easy to obtain. You have to have a license here in the US to obtain lead.

Dragon, I read your statement to Hroar and he says that you are saying things that are not true.  There are many ways to make a low-fire glaze shiny without using lead.  Hroar isn't positive how easy it is to get lead in Europe, but there has been a large effort worldwide to educate potters about the evils of lead based glazes.  But you are correct in that it is better to be safe than sorry and using a lead test kit on the piece is wise.

Huette