[Sca-cooks] pots and glaze -lead hazard

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 7 09:33:10 PDT 2008

>In a message dated 9/6/2008 5:13:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>lilinah at earthlink.net writes:
>  > So can  cooking or storing foods in such items, since the lead
>has a greater
>  > chance to leach into the food.
>
>I thought that only acidic foods leached the lead out...are there new
>findings?
>
>Etain

Yes, acids are the greatest problem.

But i never thought of milk as acidic, and it is acidic enough to
leach lead out of lead crystal.

So both cooking foods in lead glazed ceramics, and storing foods or
drinks in lead crystal or lead glazed ceramics are hazardous since
some foods we might not consider acidic turn out to be acidic enough.
They go beyond the obvious citrus, tomato, and vinegar.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing