[Sca-cooks] Celia's Hundred (was RE: The Omnivore's Hundred)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 7 16:46:03 PDT 2008

On Sep 7, 2008, at 7:01 PM, Lady Celia wrote:

>> 54. Paneer - ok.  not a big fan of "blue" cheeses, except in
>> dressings, but
>> sure.
>>

> "Paneer isn't blue.  It's not even strong."
>
> Hmm... the picture showed it with the mold that I associate with
> being a
> 'blue' cheese.  But when it comes to things like cheeses, I'll
> generally try
> them at least once... usually more than once, since they're also
> incorporated into sauces and served a variety of ways, and that
> generally
> affects my enjoyment.  For example, odd though it may be, I love
> melted or
> toasted ripe mozzarella, but don't really appreciate "fresh"
> mozzarella...
> it tastes just too bland to me.

Is it possible the picture was showing you shadowed pits in the
surface (it normally has a sort of bubbly, packed-curd sort of look),
or that in fact you were looking at the wrong picture (either through
simple error or a web designer's mistake)?

Panir looks like firm tofu, more or less, and is very closely related
in both form and content to queso blanco. It's white, firm, a tiny bit
sweet, hasn't got much of an aroma other than that of milk, and
doesn't really melt when cooked.

My favorite use is in saag panir, which is basically a "curried"
creamed (with yogurt) spinach dish with fried chunks of the cheese in
it.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter