[Sca-cooks] Can you identify the food?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 8 05:09:07 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Terry Decker
<t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> The current meaning of  "toronja" is grapefruit.

I located my magnifier, and looked up "tononja" in Covarrubias'
"Tesoro de la lengua castellana o española" (1611).  He says it's a
variety of citron.

--
Brighid ni Chiarain

It is good to know there probably was a transfer in the meaning of the word.
It occurs to me that it might be possible to determine what Covarribias was
defining if one could get their hands on Clusius's work on the plants of
Spain.  Unfortunately, I have no idea where to find a copy to examine.

Bear