[Sca-cooks] OOP martini RE: The Omnivore's Hundred

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 8 05:55:50 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
<<< 57. Dirty gin martini W (not sure what "dirty gin" is) < < < < <

Martini with some of the olive brine mixed into it.  I prefer it that
way,
otherwise it tastes like bad perfume.>>>

Thanks for describing this. Doesn't sound like there is much
difference between a Martini and a Dirty Martini.

So what was the bad perfume you tasted?   :-) > > > > > >

I am not a martini wonk, but I do taste a big difference.  Martini
clasically is 3 parts gin to 1 part sweet vermouth.  I have read that a
modern ix is 5:1.  The addition of 1 part olive brine makes a sharp and
salty add-on flavor.  It takes that sometimes harsh juniper flavour down a
few levels.

niccolo