[Sca-cooks] Redaction (Was: Some recipes that I have redacted)

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 15 20:47:32 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
It depends on whether I'm experimenting or putting together a formal
presentation of my recipe adaption.

I want a copy of the original recipe, transcription or facsimile.  That will
be the final arbiter for any disputed points.  Next I want a translation, if
necessary.  From this, I may produce an ingredient list and experiment on
quantities or just play around from the translation.  If I'm playing, I may
leave the recipe in this state.  If I am preparing it for publication, my
adaptation of the recipe will be put in a modern format with a transcription
of the original and any translation.

Bear, I think I see what you are doing there.  How do you balance that
against what you believe a medieval cook would have done in preparing the
dish to be served?  Is this a practical versus academic difference for you?

I tend to daydream/philosophize/guess at what I glean a medieval culinary
practitioner would have done ina  given situation or type of meal.  That
means I tend to stay way from exact detailed measures and weights for
everything, but get a general direction and instructions to follow.

niccolo difrancesco