[Sca-cooks] Favorite Cookbook Layouts

Stanza693 at wmconnect.com Stanza693 at wmconnect.com
Fri Sep 26 12:47:28 PDT 2008

When I got married and hadn't done much cooking, my favorite cookbook was
"American Family Menu Planner" because it as three separate sprial bound sections
to allow the cook to set out an appetizer, main course, and dessert recipe
side by side to cook from.  Plus it had a picture of each recipe.

Now, my old stand by is Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book.  I like all the
extraneous info like cooking time charts and pictures of what cut of meat
comes from where or the quick serving tips and what kinds of pan work best for
baking different types of bread.  I also like that it offers substiution ideas
or ways to alter the recipe for a different taste.

The best binding, I agree, is any one that will lay flat.

--Constanza

In a message dated 9/26/2008 1:04:21 PM Mountain Daylight Time, Iasmin writes:

> Long version: Of the cookbooks you own, which are your favorite because of
> how they lay out information or teach you things? If you can give specific
> examples by name of cookbooks, that's great. Do your truly useful cookbooks
> put ingredients first, in order, grouped by wet and dry, or interspersed
> with the instructions? Which are the prettiest to you and why? Which would
> you never take in the kitchen? What kind of binding do they have (hidden
> spring, three ring, comb, saddle stitched, perfect)?
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Iasmin
>
> PS: Just idle musings on a Friday afternoon as I practice classic work
> avoidance. :)

   </HTML>