[Sca-cooks] OOP PETA's Suggestion to Ben and Jerry

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Sep 28 00:23:48 PDT 2008

<<<
 > http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2008/09/24/
wptz.ben.jerry.breast.milk.wp
tz

Knowing Ben and Jerry's, the Ice Cream flavor names they could come
up with
boggle the mind.
Hmm, I wonder if I would have the same reaction to it that I do to cow's
milk?  I might be able to eat it after all, but no, probably not
gonna go
there - LOL
Christianna >>>

I couldn't get that video to download on my Mac, but I saw an article
on this in my newspaper.

I guess I'm not that imaginative, and I've only heard a few of the
Ben and Jerry's flavor names, but I'm not sure what names they would
come up with.

I can't see that this latest campaign will help PETA's cause any.
Human milk is likely to be healthier, especially for babies, than
cow's milk or formulas, but is human milk even available for babies
that could use it? There are mothers who can't provide enough milk
themselves or have other reasons they can't nurse.  I don't know if
my mom ever nurse me considering it was the late 50s and I was born 6
weeks premature.

Can human milk even be made into things like ice cream, cheese or
other milk products?  I seem to remember us discussing that the milk
of certain animals can't be easily made into cheese, butter or other
products. I can't remember which animals or which products right now,
though.

To bring this back to medieval things, there were times in our period
where the upper class did employ "wet nurses".  Has anyone done any
research on this or written any papers on this?  I don't ever
remember any SCA folks taking on a "wet nurse" persona, either.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com