[Sca-cooks] [OT/OOP] Comfort food experience

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Sun Sep 28 08:09:32 PDT 2008

In Germany? I dunno...I suspect you'd have to find a store selling American
imports, or perhaps purchase it over the internet (or have one of us send
you some).
Real maple syrup is a strong part of childhood food memories for me, too.  I
didn't grow up in New England (being born, bred, and apparently permanently
rooted in Montana), but my parents surely did, so I grew up eating food that
was distinctly different from our neighbors, who were largely plains-state
people of Scandinavian descent, as are a fair percentage of my friends.
Purely makes my hair stand on end to watch one of my good friends put karo
syrup (oh, gawd, shudders just thinking about it) on pancakes and
waffles....
I have a couple of recipes from both grandmothers, and even (I think) a
chowder recipe from my paternal grandfather, but we lived far enough away
from them that we rarely visited (let alone cooked for each other).
--Maire