[Sca-cooks] Sugar in China?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Sep 30 19:20:44 PDT 2008

Early, very early in fact. I actually own the text that covers sugar in
China.
It was recommended to me by Gene Anderson.
Sugar and Society in China: Peasants, Technology, and the World Market
(Harvard-Yenching Institute Monograph Series) by
Sucheta Mazumdar. Harvard University Asia Center (October 30, 1998)
I've read the sections on confectionary and pulled sugar, although it's been
a while. I bought the book in 2005 and it's nearly 700 pages.

It so happens that the chapter on sugar from the Cambridge World History
of Food is available to look at:
http://www.cambridge.org/us/books/kiple/sugar.htm

Johnnae