[Sca-cooks] Christianna's 100, pt deux

Kingstaste kingstaste at comcast.net
Sun Sep 7 11:41:25 PDT 2008

Right, giving up on the abbreviations and just going for straight
commentary.  I put an asterisk next to my No's:

1. Venison - yes, mostly I've eaten this ground, makes good stews and chili.

 2. Nettle tea - yes, but only as a medicinal
 3. Huevos rancheros - yes, one of my favorites
 4. Steak tartare - yes, used to make this at a restaurant I worked at
regularly
 5. Crocodile (alligator) - yes, just had some fried gator a couple of weeks
ago.  Like a cross between veal and cod.
 6. Black pudding - yes, ate it on breakfast plates in England, mostly I
don't care for the grainy texture
 7. Cheese fondue - yes, back when I was doing dairy, including a couple of
fondue restaurants.
 8. Carp - yes
 9. Borscht - yes, not a beet fan, but have had some made in the SCA that
was quite good
10. Baba ghanoush - oh yes, especially with smoked eggplant
11. Calamari - yes, just ask my Squid Squishing Squire Squadron!
12. Pho - yes, like comfort food :)
13. PB&J sandwich - yes, a staple of my youth
14. Aloo gobi - yes, but not a cauliflower fan
15. Hot dog from a street cart - yes, in front of a few major league ball
parks
16. Epoisses - yes, during a cheese tasting class I recently ran
17. Black truffle - yes, and I think it is overrated
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - yes lots, I'm in the
SCA - duh!
19. Steamed pork buns - yes, DIM SUM!!
20. Pistachio ice cream - yes
21. Heirloom tomatoes - yes
22. Fresh wild berries - yes, picked lots in my time
23. *Foie gras - not yet, but have always wanted to try it
24. Rice and beans - yes, a staple
25. Brawn, or head cheese - yes, during my apprenticeship working with
Czechoslovakian butchers
26. * Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper - no, and never plan to.  Too much pain!
27. Dulce de leche - yes, including a Soy Dream Dulce de leche flavor they
just came out with - yum!
28. Oysters  - yes, some very good ones this spring - very sweet
29. Baklava - yes, and made my fair share too
30. Bagna cauda - oh, yes, yes, yes.... (sorry)
31. Wasabi peas  - yes, but don't like them
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl - yes, but not in the bowl
33. Salted lassi - yes, it's ok and I would do it again, but nothing a fav
34. Sauerkraut - yes, one of my favorites
35. Root beer float - yes, A&W baby!
36. Cognac with a fat cigar - yes, but not with the cigar
37. Clotted cream tea  - yes
38. * Vodka jelly  - no, unless we're counting Jello Shooters...
39. Gumbo - yes, prefer mine with file rather than okra
40. Oxtail - yes, some really good Oxtail and Ale soup in the SCA
41. Curried goat - yes, I love it!
42. Whole insects - yes, covered with chocolate.  Crunchy.
43. * Phaal - no, just can't do the hot curries
44. Goat's milk - yes, especially love goat's milk chevre
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more - yes, just a taste
46. * Fugu - no, but I think I'm brave enough to try one day...
47. Chicken tikka masala - yes
48. Eel - yes, unagi is one of my few favorite sushi ingredients
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - yes, but wouldn't do it again
50. Sea urchin - maybe, I know I've eaten sea cucumber, but not sure about
uni
51. Prickly pear - yes
52. Umeboshi - yes, paste, vinegar, and whole
53. Abalone - yes
54. Paneer - yes, easy to make, can't do the dairy any more
55. McDonald's Big Mac Meal - yes, when I was in high school. Loved the
special sauce!
56. Spaetzle - yes, although it isn't my favorite noodle or dumpling
57. Dirty gin martini - yes, the olive is my favorite part anyway
58. Beer above 8% ABV - yes, during a beer tasting class I ran
59. *Poutine - no, and not likely to - heart attack city!
60. Carob chips - yes, although I don't care for carob as a chocolate
substitute (it isn't), but love it roasted in hot coffee/tea blends
61. S'mores - yes, I was a Girl Scout, and made them recently for adults
62. *Sweetbreads - I don't think I have had these, although if I did I think
I put them down to "oogy organ meat texture" and went on.  Kidneys I
remember, that taste is hard to forget.
63. Kaolin - yes, ate some to try it out.  Also used some recently for a spa
treatment mixture
64. * Currywurst - not to my knowledge, but I'd give it a try
65. Durian  - yes, and I actually like it.  Blended and frozen it makes a
pretty good ice cream-like product
66. Frogs' legs - oui, les Grenouille!
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - yes, all 4
68. Haggis  - yes, made by Mistress Eleanor of Ashley, delicious. Also in
Scotland, where it was pretty good.
69. Fried plantain  - yes, tostones (savory, unripe), plantanos maduros
(sweet, ripe), and plantain chips
70. * Chitterlings, or andouillette - no, I've seen them prepared, and
that's close enough for me
71. Gazpacho - yes, love to make it when the garden is in bounty
72. Caviar and blini - yes, love the buckwheat blini and sour cream
73. * Louche absinthe  - no, really not interested in licorice drinks
74. Gjetost, or brunost - yes, in tiny little slices - so good!
75. * Roadkill - not to my knowledge
76. *Baijiu  - no, not much of a drinker, so haven't even heard of this one
77. Hostess Fruit Pie - yes, but wouldn’t again
78. Snail - yes, but the garlic is the whole reason for the dish
79. Lapsang souchong  - yes, have a friend that is a tea snob
80. Bellini - yes, made them for Italian cooking classes regularly
81. Tom yum - yes, as long as it isn't too spicy
82. Eggs Benedict - yes, made about a billion of these for brunches
83. Pocky - yes, tasted one that a teenager had, that was plenty
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant - not a tasting menu,
but have eaten at a couple
85. Kobe beef  - yes, very fine stuff
86. Hare - yes, I have a good Hare in Ale recipe I like
87. Goulash - yes, grew up around a lot of Slavic immigrant's families
88. Flowers - yes, roses, nasturtiums, saffron, lavender, broccoli,
cauliflower...
89. *Horse - not to my knowledge, but I understand it is quite good, I would
love to try it sometime
90. *Criollo chocolate  - no, but now that I'm aware of it, I will!
91. Spam - yes, fried slices are ok, I think we got it in a summer camp I
went to
92. Soft shell crab - yes
93. *Rose harissa  - no, too hot, although I have eaten rose-flavored foods
of many kinds
94. Catfish  - yes, farm raised is pretty good
95. Mole poblano  - yes
96. Bagel and lox - yes
97. Lobster Thermidor - yes, but prefer steamed with drawn lemon butter
98. Polenta - yes
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee - yes, it was ok, but not something I'd
pay for regularly
100. Snake - yes, tastes like chicken!

*Balut - don't think so!