[Sca-cooks] ISO carbonado references.

Ginny Beatty ginbeatty at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 13:10:43 PDT 2008

Indeed Eduardo, it is an interesting dish to trace, and I'm surprised it
hasn't been done sooner. My article is going to be in a journal with other
cooking articles, not a standalone magnum opus. ;)
While it would be interesting to track the entire history of carbonadoes
from the dawn of time to the present day, and I do appreciate everyone's
enthusiasm, I don't want to get too much into "scope creep."
This is what I have: Markham, Platina, Martino, Rabelais.
This is what I'm investigating: What are the unique properties of a
carbonado, how was it cooked then, how can you cook it now with certain
equipment. I tried string roasting ala Magic of Fire, that was fun, but
labor intensive.
This is what I want: Other Pre-1600's references within 100 years- Spanish,
French, or Italian to support this cooking process as cited in Markham -
roast/grilled/toasted meat - indirect cooking method, basted, and preferably
called a carbona* of some type.  Variations on this process (sliced and
pan-cooked) might be interesting as a side note.

thanks!
Gwyneth