[Sca-cooks] ISO carbonado references.

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Tue Sep 2 23:36:44 PDT 2008

--- ranvaig at columbus.rr.com <ranvaig at columbus.rr.com> schrieb am Mi, 3.9.2008:

> Rumpolt's _Ein New Kochbuch_ has many references to
> "Karwenada" which means Carbonado.  In one recipe
> (Kalb 32) it is spelled both "Karwenada" and
> "Karbenada".
>
> Karwenada of mutton, grouse, sturgeon, pheasant, pork,
> veal, piglet, eagle, salmon, and probably others I've
> not yet transcribed.  Also a Karwenada subtlety of sugar.
> http://www.geocities.com/ranvaig/medieval/EinNewKochbuch.pdf
>  (this is out of date, I need to update it).
>
> Also Gwen Cat posted this when I asked about Karwenada
> http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/sca-cooks-ansteorra.org/2007-March/008281.html
> > Karwenada is a variant of Carbonado, also Karbanart,
> > Karbenart and Karwanart.
>
> Giano has a reference to Karbenart from Franz de Rontzier
> http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_Gianos_12thnight.htm

Actually, I translated the chapter for the Baelfyr a few years ago. I thought it was online - if not, I'll happily share it. It wopmn't be much help, though, it's all late and far from Italy or France.

> And the word Karwanart has a lot of Kurdish hits.  Not sure
> if its related or not, but Rumpolt has other recipes
> influenced by the middle east.

That would be extremely unlikely. The b-w substitiution is not that uncommon in Germany, and period cookbook often make a right hash out of borrowed names (chickens in cominee become chicken 'in commune' and blancmanger a 'blawmensir'). Linguistically, Rumpolt seemed to have more Italian influences and de Rontzier more French, but here they both get it equally wrong.

YIS

Giano