[Sca-cooks] period pickles and preserves

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Wed Sep 3 11:27:45 PDT 2008

--- tudorpot at gmail.com <tudorpot at gmail.com> schrieb am Mi, 3.9.2008:

> I'm new to SCA, but not new to cooking. One of my fav
> things to do is
> preserves and pickles. Can someone point me to some period
> recipes
> sources for same? Also, where do I start to learn- sites,
> books etc
> to understand redaction?

I can't really help you with the latter, but de Rontzier has a long chapter or preserved fruit and vegetables, Nostradamus wrote a book with a couple of such recipes, too, and I can also personally recommend the composta recipe from the Liber de Coquina. That is just what I have worked from - there's much more if you start by looking for cotignac/codoignac and compost(e).

Giano