[Sca-cooks] Celia's Hundred (was RE: The Omnivore's Hundred)

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Sun Sep 7 14:37:12 PDT 2008

OK, my code here is
* haven't tried, but would
** haven't tried and won't
X have tried and hated

1. Venison - I eat it fairly regularly.
*2. Nettle tea - doesn't sound all that appealing..
3. Huevos rancheros - Have tried, would eat again. Not all that
exciting, but good

4. Steak tartare - Yum!
* 5. Crocodile - nope.  I think you can get it in one or two restaurants here, but the general concensus seems to be "overrated".
6. Black pudding - Yup.  I don't care for it especially, but I've eaten it.
7. Cheese fondue - Yum!!  Much better than the chocolate kind.
8. Carp - Yup.  It's not that exciting.
9. Borscht - Yes, delicious.
10. Baba ghanoush - Another one that I don't love, but it's OK.
11. Calamari - Yes-- a pretty common restaurant food here, and even some fish 'n' chip shops have it. It ranges from delicious to only so-so.
12. Pho - Yes-- had a big bowl of it a couple of weeks ago.  Quite nice.
13. PB&J sandwich - Yup.
14. Aloo gobi - Yes.
15. Hot dog from a street cart  -  Yes.
X 16. Epoisses - Yecch!  That was an angry, angry cheese!
* 17. Black truffle - I cannot possibly believe these are worth the money.
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - Yes.
19. Steamed pork buns - delicious, but not nearly as good as baked pork buns.
20. Pistachio ice cream - yum!  The best gelato I've had recently was from a little shop in Auckland-- one scoop of pistachio, and one of saffron.
21. Heirloom tomatoes - Yes.
22. Fresh wild berries - Yum!
** 23. Foie gras - Je refuse.  This is where I draw the line in terms of food and animail welfare.
24. Rice and beans - yes.
25. Brawn, or head cheese - Yes.
** 26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper - Sounds like a particularly dumbarsed idea.
27. Dulce de leche - Good in small doses.
X 28. Oysters - I do not like them, Sam I am.
29. Baklava (Both Greek and Persian) - Om nom nom nom...
30. Bagna cauda  - Yes.
* 31. Wasabi peas - They don't really appeal-- I don't really care for wasabi.
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl - clam chowder, yes, bread bowl, no.  I think that may be an American thing.
33. Salted lassi  - Yes.
34. Sauerkraut - I make my own.
35. Root beer float  - OMG!  Yes!
36. Cognac with a fat cigar - Cognac, yes.  Cigar, yes, but not together, and not likely to since I haven't smoked in many, many years.
37. Clotted cream tea - Yes. I think the more usual term is "Devonshire tea".
38. Vodka jelly - Yes.
39. Gumbo - Yes.
40. Oxtail - Haven't had this in years, but it is sooo good.
41. Curried goat - Yes. Young goat is delicious.
* 42. Whole insects - only by accident.
** 43. Phaal - No, I think not.
44. Goat’s milk - Yes.
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more - Yes, but it's been wasted on me.
46. Fugu- Ummm... no... sorry, not that ballsy.  My adventurousness stops
where someone can kill me by being inept!
47. Chicken tikka masala. Yes.
48. Eel - Yes-- definitely considered a treat here.
* 49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - (Where the Hell would I even get one? And why would I bother?)
* 50. Sea urchin - not uncommon around here, but I don't find it very appealing.
51. Prickly pear - Yes.  Pretty unexciting.
52. Umeboshi - yup.
53. Abalone - Yes.
54. Paneer - yes.
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - yes.
56. Spaetzle - Yes.
** 57. Dirty gin martini - I *really* dislike olives.
58. Beer above 8% ABV - Yes.
59. Poutine - sure.  Om nom nom nom!!!
X 60. Carob chips - A mortal insult to all that is chocolatey!
61. S’mores
* 62. Sweetbreads
* 63. Kaolin
* 64. Currywurst
* 65. Durian
* 66. Frogs’ legs - Yumm!
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake  - Yup-- I love that kind of thing.
68. Haggis - Yum, delicious!
69. Fried plantain - Ho-hum...
* 70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
71. Gazpacho - someday... I don't hate it, but I'm not that excited by it...
72. Caviar and blini - Yup
* 73. Louche absinthe
* 74. Gjetost, or brunost
* 75. Roadkill (assuming it's a species I'd call edible and freshly killed...)
* 76. Baijiu
* 77. Hostess Fruit Pie - So very, very American...
* 78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini - a bit sweet for me
81. Tom yum yum yum.
82. Eggs Benedict - Yes, yes, yes.
* 83. Pocky - I can't work out what the point is.
* 84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant
* 85. Kobe beef  - ditto!
86. Hare - yup.
87. Goulash - yes, I even make it once in a while.
88. Flowers - rose petal sorbet is pretty good...
* 89. Horse -
90. Criollo chocolate  - Yup.
* 91. Spam - I can't imagine why I would...
* 92. Soft shell crab
* 93. Rose harissa
* 94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano - Yup- not a big fan, but it's OK.
96. Bagel and lox - Yes.
97. Lobster Thermidor - It's good, but it's also a lot of lily-gilding.
98. Polenta - It's pretty unexciting.
* 99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee - I barely drink coffee.
* 100. Snake

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,