[Sca-cooks] The Omnivore's Hundred

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 7 14:38:54 PDT 2008

This originally started on Live Journal where HTML works.  I answered this there some weeks ago.  I will give my answers here, since an lot of you aren't on my journal.

Huette

1. Venison  Yes, I love it.
2. Nettle tea  Yes, but I wouldn't go out of my way to have more.
3. Huevos rancheros  Yes, long before my allergies kicked in.  I can't have it anymore.
4. Steak tartare  Tried it once, never again.  Yech.
5. Crocodile  No, but I might try it someday.
6. Black pudding  I have tried Blutwurst, which is pretty much the same.  Interesting flavor.  I would eat it again.
7. Cheese fondue  Yes.  Very messy.
8. Carp  Yes.
9. Borscht  Yes.  I liked it.
10. Baba ghanoush  Yes.  I am not very fond of eggplant.
11. Calamari  Yes.
12. Pho  Yes.
13. PB&J sandwich  Yes.
14. Aloo gobi  No.  Can't have it because of allergies.
15. Hot dog from a street cart  Yes.  Several times when I worked in L.A.
16. Epoisses  No. But I would like to.
17. Black truffle  Yes.  I like it.
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes  Yes.  Many times.
19. Steamed pork buns  Yes.  Yum!
20. Pistachio ice cream  Yes.
21. Heirloom tomatoes  Yes.  Yum, when home grown.
22. Fresh wild berries  Yes.  Yum.
23. Foie gras  Yes.
24. Rice and beans  Yes.
25. Brawn, or head cheese  Yes.  I used to love it as a kid.
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper  NEVER!!! Allergic.
27. Dulce de leche Yes.  Many times.
28. Oysters  Yes.  Not my favorite.
29. Baklava (Both Greek and Persian)  Yes.  I have had Greek and Armenian and love it.  I have had Yugoslavian [it was a long time ago, but it was bleah, they used Karo Syrup instead of honey.]
30. Bagna cauda  No, but I would try it.
31. Wasabi peas  No.
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl Yes.
33. Salted lassi  No, but I like sweet lassi.
34. Sauerkraut  Yes, but in limited quantities
35. Root beer float  YES!!!  I luvs me root beer floats!
36. Cognac with a fat cigar  I have had cognac, but I will never smoke cigars!
37. Clotted cream tea  Yes.  Love it.
38. Vodka jelly  No, but I would try it.
39. Gumbo  Yes, but I didn't like it.
40. Oxtail  Yes. I LOVE oxtail stew.
41. Curried goat  I have had goat, but never curried.  Allergy reasons.
42. Whole insects NEVER.
43. Phaal No.  Allergies.
44. Goat’s milk  Yes
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more  No.  I am not into whisky of any sort.
46. Fugu  No.  I am not crazy or suicidal.
47. Chicken tikka masala  No. Not unless it is capsicum free.
48. Eel  Yes.  Both cooked and raw.
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut  Yes.  There are better donuts.
50. Sea urchin  Yes.
51. Prickly pear  Yes.
52. Umeboshi  Yes.
53. Abalone  Yes.  Very delicious.  Too bad it is so hard to come by, now that it is an endangered species.  I have heard that is it being farmed.
54. Paneer  Yes.
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal Yes, but not in the past thirty years.
56. Spaetzle  Yes.  Love it!  It is a family favorite.
57. Dirty gin martini  No
58. Beer above 8% ABV  Yes.  In Australia.
59. Poutine  No.  It sounds very greasy.
60. Carob chips  Yes.
61. S’mores  Yes.  Many times as a kid and an adult.  Try it with peeps and Valrona chocolate, yum!
62. Sweetbreads  Yes.
63. Kaolin  Yes as part of kaopectate.  Otherwise, no.  It is supposed to be something pregnant women crave and is sold in the South.
64. Currywurst  No.  Allergies.
65. Durian  Yes.
66. Frogs’ legs  No, but I might try them someday...
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake  Yes.  Yum.
68. Haggis  Yes.
69. Fried plantain  Yes, in French Polynesia, Yum.
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette  No.
71. Gazpacho  Yes
72. Caviar and blini  Yes
73. Louche absinthe  No
74. Gjetost, or brunost  No, but I would like to.
75. Roadkill No.  It would depend on how freshly killed it was ...
76. Baijiu  No
77. Hostess Fruit Pie  Yes, many times.
78. Snail  No.  Maybe someday...
79. Lapsang souchong  Yes
80. Bellini  Yes.  Yum.
81. Tom yum  No.  Allergies.
82. Eggs Benedict  Yes.  Yum.
83. Pocky  Yes.  Ho-hum.
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant  Yes, but I would rather it had been in a five star restaurant...
85. Kobe beef  Yes
86. Hare  Yes
87. Goulash  Yes
88. Flowers  Yes
89. Horse  No.  Banned in California
90. Criollo chocolate  Yes.
91. Spam  Yes, as a child.  Yech.
92. Soft shell crab  Yes
93. Rose harissa  No.  Allergies.
94. Catfish  Yes
95. Mole poblano  No.  Allergies.
96. Bagel and lox  Yes.  Yum.
97. Lobster Thermidor  Yes.  I love lobster.
98. Polenta  Yes.  Many times.
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee  No.  I don't drink coffee at all.
100. Snake  No, but I would be willing to try.