[Sca-cooks] Celia's Hundred (was RE: The Omnivore's Hundred)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 7 15:03:29 PDT 2008

On Sep 7, 2008, at 5:48 PM, Antonia Calvo wrote:

> Lady Celia wrote:
>
>> 41. Curried goat - how does this differ from curried anything
>> else?  So I
>> wouldn't seek it out, but wouldn't automatically turn it down.  I'm
>> a bit
>> finicky about curries, so my question tends to be "is this hot or
>> mild".
>> I'll try and often enjoy mild curries, but have had very bad (almost
>> "allergic") reactions to hot curries.
> "Curry" covers a huge range of possibilities.  It could be anything
> from very hot to very mild.
>
>> 54. Paneer - ok.  not a big fan of "blue" cheeses, except in
>> dressings, but
>> sure.
>>

> Paneer isn't blue.  It's not even strong.

One of the problems we're going to run across with this list of foods
is that there are some enormous variations under the heading of, say,
curried goat (as you mentioned), or clam chowder, or huevos rancheros
(Stefan gave us a recipe for them once which sounded almost nothing at
all like the eggs-almost-deep-fried in olive oil sauced with a freshly-
made salsa ranchero -- we're not talking Pace salsa non-cruda here --
that I had always been familiar with). The question that then comes up
is, what variations might the author of the original list be thinking
of?

So, you have to wonder about some of the foods that are turning some
people off, and whether some of the potential variations are directly
involved in whether people like a particular food, or not, or even
affecting the question of whether they'll even try some of them.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter